When it comes to our physical health, prevention is always better than cure.
What is Prehab?
Prehab, also known as preventative rehab or prehabilitation, is the approach of using ‘regular’ rehab in a proactive way to minimise pain, avoid injury or improve function. Put simply it is doing the rehab before you even require the rehab. This might look like treating someone’s impairments, for example there decreased quadricep strength, rather than treating that person’s knee injury which happens 6 months later due to their decreased strength.
WHO SHOULD YOU DO PREHAB?
- Pre-surgery: Prehab is suggested for people prior to surgery as it can improve muscle strength, range of movement, cardiovascular and respiratory fitness, muscle and function prior to your operation. This helps to optimise your post-surgical outcomes.
- Athletes: Prehab is suggested for athletes as the easiest way to treat an injury is to prevent it in the first place. Prehab can ensure you have the correct movement patterns and optimal musculature.
- Active Aging: Engaging in targeted exercise and strength training minimises pain and maximises function in age-related conditions, including osteoarthritis. This can help you maintain function and independence and may prolong the need for a joint replacement.
SPECIFIC EXAMPLES OF PREHAB:
- Improving joint range of motion and the muscle strength before a total hip or knee replacement surgery.
- Strengthening the muscles of the leg to prevent the risk of ACL injuries.
- Balance and strengthening exercises to reduce your risk of falls.
- Exercise based therapy to improve cancer patient’s strength, quality of life and endurance prior to chemotherapy.
WHERE CAN YOU DO PREHAB?
Here at Results Physiotherapy we offer individualised pre-habilitation whether is pre-surgical, athlete injury prevention or anything in between. We also offer a balance class for falls prevention.
Whether you are facing surgery, planning to engage in physical activities, or simply striving for a healthier future, incorporating prehabilitation practices into your routine can pave the way for a stronger, more resilient tomorrow.
Give our friendly reception team a call to enquire or book an appointment.